Sunday, July 7, 2013

Germany Valley West Virginia Landscape Painting

You know while working on this painting I realized that West Virginia is a beautiful place. It is filled with amazing mountains, valleys, and rivers. I usually don't get out to see places like this. Around my house the mountains are close up on you and you do not see the distance like in this West Virginia landscape. I will be painting more of my home state in the future.

Now for the painting.
"Germany Valley"
Rt. 33 near Riverton West Virginia
Pendleton County



Artist Keith W. Johnson
"Germany Valley"
24"x30"x1.5"
Acrylic on Gallery Wrapped Stretched Canvas

I think it would be pretty awesome to be driving on that road right now. Whenever I see a road in a painting I always wonder where it goes. It's a beautiful Autumn day, the leaves are changing colors, the wind is blowing slightly, and the clouds are just amazing. A perfect day to go for a picnic. 

Enjoy the progress pictures.


After toning the canvas and drawing I started painting some of the base color.


Here I toned the whole canvas.


I started going back with detail starting with the sky and clouds.


I worked on the distant mountains and foreground. 


Finish.

If you are interested in investing in my art please check out my website for more of my original artwork.
www.keithwjohnson.com

It took a little over two weeks to finish this painting working consistently. I premixed the paint and was afraid it was going to dry out but I guess with the humidity being high along with me covering the paint up and spraying it with a mist bottle it lasted long enough. I really enjoyed painting with acrylics the last two years but I am excited to try my new oil paints I just purchased. 

I have already begun the drawing of next  painting in oils and here is a sneak peak of the painting I will be doing. I took this picture in spring. The mommy cardinal just sit there for about 15 minutes watching me. I'm glad because it gave me enough time to grab my camera and take some pictures. I guess it didn't want me near it's babies in the honeysuckle bush near my house. 

I also plan on a plein air painting this week if it stops raining.



Copyright Fine Art by Keith W. Johnson-All Rights Reserved








No comments:

Post a Comment